The Military at Aberdare

Precaution Against Riot

Saturday will be noted in Aberdare for the Tact that for the first time a detachment of cavalry was brought into the town. At half-past eight in the morning, a detachment of the 14th Hussars, consisting of 22 men and two sergeants, under the command of Capt. R. M. Richardson, from Manchester, arrived in Aberdare, and, shortly afterwards, marched down to Aberaman House (the late residence of Sir George Elliot), where they are billeted. At 2.30 p.m. a detachment of the Devonshire Regiment, numbering 50, arrived at Aberaman, and, at 9 o’clock, two other detachments, of 50 each, of the Bedfordshire Regiment Arrived, one at Mountain Ash and the other at Aberdare. Some degree of indignation is felt in the town at the action of the coal owners in bringing the military here, but most of the older and steadier colliers with whom our correspondent conversed, as well as the tradespeople, are agreed that considering the lawlessness exhibited by some of the strikers where they are unable to get workmen to leave work, the action of the owners is possibly the wisest course after all. While many, urge that the presence of the military will tend to irritate the people, it is argued that the knowledge that the military is in readiness will act as a healthy deterrent to any who might be disposed to break the law. Ample provision was made during the day to cope with any disturbance that might occur. Mr R. H. Rhys, J.P., and Dr Evan Jones, J.P., during the afternoon swore in some 50 to 40 special constables, who were stationed around the town.

At Aberaman Sir D. Davies, J.P., was also in readiness, should the military be called out, to accompany them in order, if it was absolutely necessary, to read the Riot Act. This, however, fortunately, was riot necessary, and the day passed without the slightest disturbance. Another incident that marked Saturday was the fact that the members of the Aberdare, Merthyr, and Dowlais Association of Miners in the valley, through their elected representatives have passed a unanimous resolution condemning in unmeasured terms the action of the strikers as illegal and irregular.

This, it is believed, will put an end to the strike as far as the whole of the Aberdare Valley is concerned, except at Aberaman, Treaman, and Fforchaman Colliery. The result of the ballot will be to give an overwhelming majority in favour of resuming work tomorrow.

Midnight Disturbance at Aberaman
A Revolver Fired at Police
The arrest of the Assailant

Our Aberdare correspondent, telegraphing this morning, says: Shortly after midnight, a crowd of 300 or 400 strikers met at Aberaman, declaring their intention to march down and attend the mass meeting in Pontypridd. The Mountain Ash police were apprised of the fact, and when the processionists arrived there they were ordered to return. This evoked loud expressions of disapproval, but eventually, the mob started on the return journey followed by the constables. In a short time, a halt was made, some of the men refusing- to proceed. During the disturbance which followed one of the crowd fired point-blank at the police. Luckily, the bullet did not strike anyone, but the constable succeeded in capturing the assailant with the revolver in his hand.

He was removed to Mountain Ash. and proved to be a young man named Stanton, son of an Aberdare publican. News of the row had reached Aberaman, and Mr D. Davies, J.P., consulted Colonel Vernon, who promptly turned out the infantry at Aberaman House, but the rioters had all scattered. A march was. however, made to the temporary barracks in Aberdare, where it was found the whole of the soldiers “peacefully slumbered and slept” in complete disregard of the enemy. A complaint is being made of the fact that the local board should allow the town to be in darkness at night, none of the public lamps being lit throughout the district. This morning all is peaceful, and nearly all the men in the upper part of the valley are working.

Another report says: The lower end of the Aberdare Valley and Mountain Ash was the scene of rowdyism in the early hours of this morning. The news was conveyed to the Mountain Ash Police that a gang of strikers, numbering something over two hundred people, armed with sticks, &c., had passed the Aberaman offices on route for Mountain Ash. The mob was soon afterwards heard yelling tremendously and singing comic songs, “Monte Carlo,” was being very prominent. They had made their way through Capcoch and reached Mountain Ash Bridge about 12.30, where they were met by Inspector Rutter and the Mountain Ash police, in charge of Police-sergeant Evans, who discovered that they were on their way to Penrhiwceiber.

Police-sergeant Evans, however, informed the mob that they would not be allowed to pass through, and with great tact succeeded in turning them back, the police still following. When, however, they were near the Aberaman Works the mob began to run, and a man was heard to say, “Take that, you b…….s,” a report of a revolver and the whizzing of the bullet being heard simultaneously, after which the police whistled, and some of the police stationed at Aberaman works came out and assisted in surrounding the mob. After a diligent search, Police-sergeant Evans found the revolver and arrested the man in whose possession it was found. The mob then attempted to rescue the assailant.

The attempt was, however, frustrated, and the police charged them and very soon cleared the streets. The man arrested, whose name is Charles Stanton, resides at Aberaman, and is now lodged in the Mountain Ash police-station. He is about twenty-one years of age and was only recently married. Happily, the firing of the revolver caused no injury, but the crowd were badly knocked about. The soldiers at Mountain Ash were ready and oh the alert within a few minutes after the news reached there, Dr Evans, J.P., being there also. The cavalry passed through here for Pontypridd about half-past eleven.

Back to Aberaman