(The Connection to the Mathews of Llandaff)
The Mathew family of Aberaman were descended from Morgan Mathew (a nephew of Sir David Mathew of Llandaff) who was the standard bearer to Edward IV at the battle of Towton.
Sir David ap Mathew, Lord of Llandaff and Seneschal of Llandaff; he saved the life of Edward IV, at the “Battle of Towton” on Palm Sunday, March 14, 1461, his Majesty then created him Standard-bearer of all England. David’s extraordinary prowess and daring in the field even at the age of sixty, contrarily to most of his countrymen who were Lancastrians, were used on behalf of the House of York, whose cause he ardently espoused.
The Mathew family of Aberaman were the most important family who lived and owned land in Aberaman and surrounding area, it registered that they acquired Abergwawr Farm and Blaengwawr Farm which was mentioned in 1654. The family were Royalists and Edward Mathew commanded the Cardiff Garrison and Myles his son commanded the King’s Lifeguard at the Battle of Edghill, he was later captured at the Battle of St Fagan’s, but after the restoration he became Sheriff of Glamorgan in 1666 and became Myles Mathew of “Llankach” and one of four Sheriffs that came from Aberaman.
Miles Mathew whose family lived at Aberaman House was also in command of the Lifeguards and fought alongside Charles I in 1642 at the “Battle of Edgehill” in 1643. Miles Mathew fought alongside Charles I and then became the Cromwellian Governor of the castle and town in Cardiff.
The first colliery mentioned in the Cynon Valley was recorded in the family records of the Mathew family records that they owned a coal mine which is mentioned in 1637 and 1691.
The Abergwawr estate extended from the present King’s Head, Aberaman to the Gwawr Brook, and the farm was situated where the present Plough Inn and the Grange House. The Aberaman Welfare Hall is built on what was formerly Abergwawr Isaf. The Blaengwawr Estate extended from the Brook up to the Full Moon except for a part belonging to the Ynyslwyd Estate.
Saron Chapel, Gwawr Chapel and Libanus Chapel were erected on the Abergwawr Estate, while Blaengwawr Schools were erected on the Blaengwawr Estate.
The Mathew family was split in 1788 due to the fact there were no male heirs, and the land was split between the three daughters. In a matter of years the land was sold to Anthony Bacon II, and who then sold it to Crawshay Bailey.
Mathew Charity for the Cynon Valley
March 1724, she recited that she had purchased an annual rent of £5 from Richard Thomas Lewis charged upon is 380 acres farm known as Penrhiw Caradoc in the parish of Llanwynno, to provide money to assist the maintenance of four poor persons to be settled in the Almshouses. These consisted of four separate dwellings each containing one room.
Mathews Family Crest
Their crest a Heath Cock, and their motto “A Fynno Duw a fydd” (What God wills will be) and “Si Deus pro nobisquis contra nos” (If God, be for us, who shall be against us). There was a public house in Aberdare, called the Heathcock Inn, which, once stood, opposite St John’s Church which demolished in 1966.
William Mathew, of Aberaman, Esq., married Catherine, daughter to Edward Prichard of Llancaiach, Esq., and issued James, Edward, Miles The above William was sheriff in the year 1618.”
The above Miles was probably the person who was buried in the Chancel of St. John’s Church Aberdare.
In these days of accelerated expedition, we can scarcely form a notion of the manner, in which the first families among our forefathers journeyed from place to place. “Madam Mathew,” of Aberaman, in this parish, for many years paid an annual visit at Christmas to her father ‘Squire Lewis of Llanishen,” and was conveyed in a sort of palanquin on two long poles, at either extremity of which was a strong mountain pony.
Sheriffs, Constables and Justices of the Peace
1667 Edward Mathews of Aberaman High Sheriff
1692 William Mathews of Aberaman High Sheriff
1693 William Mathews of Aberaman High Sheriff
1758 Edward Mathews of Aberaman High Sheriff
Back to Aberaman