We regret to record the death of Mr John Howell, Greenhill, Aberaman, which occurred, on Tuesday. He was in his 73rd year and was the oldest resident of the district who had been born in this locality. He was born in 1847, and was the son of Mr Thomas Howell, Lamb and Flag, Aberaman, and received his early education at Aberdare National Schools, under Mr T. G. Dowling, afterwards of Duffryn Schools, Mountain Ash.
Mr Howell then worked for some years underground, and after 10 years’ experience in that capacity he determined to improve his educational attainments and entered the well-known Seminary of that day kept by one Thomas Lloyd, at Merthyr.
He afterwards obtained a position under Mr Richard Fothergill as clerk at a railway machine, where he had to deal with a vast quantity of coal and iron, etc., which was despatched from the Abernant Works. In 1873 he took to himself a wife, Miss Mary Ann Davies, daughter of Mr. Wm. Davies, who was then a grocer in Brook Street in Aberaman. Mrs. Howell died a few years ago, Mr Howell many years ago took over a butchering establishment in Lewis Street, Aberaman, which he conducted until he retired some years back. He also became auctioneer and valuer and did a large business.
It was in December 1894, that he first became a member of the Aberdare District Council, a position which he retained for many years, occupying the chair for one year. In March 1895, he was elected unopposed on the Glamorgan County Council. The late Mr Howell was an outstanding figure in all local gatherings, and he was much respected.
He was an authority on agricultural matters, and was a joint agricultural representative with Mr John James, Aberaman, on the Aberdare Military Tribunal. Deceased was a Liberal in politics, and a Churchman. He was warden of St. Margaret’s Church, Aberaman for several years. He leaves several grown-up children, one of whom is Mr. W. T. Howell, solicitor.
Back to Aberaman