Thomas Watkin Williams 1816 - 1883
A surgeon, was born at Penllwyn Einon, Ystradfellte, Brecknockshire, and passed through the regular course of study for the medical profession at Guy's hospital. In 1845, he removed to Birmingham, and entered into partnership with Mr. W. Watts, then practising in Colrnore Row.
He was for many years one of the honorary surgeons to the Orthopaedic and Spinal Hospital, and a member of the committees of the Birmingham Library (Union Street), the Medical Institute, and the Hospital Saturday organisation. He also filled the presidential chair of the Medical Benevolent Society, and was instrumental in obtaining a higher amount of donations to its funds than any previous president. It is, however, in connection with the British Medical Association that his greatest and best work was done. Of its local branch he acted as honorary treasurer for 25 years, and he was not allowed to resign, in 1879, without a substantial recognition. From 1863 to 1871, he acted as general secretary to that association, in which he always took the greatest pride, and to the interests of which he applied himself with such success that during his tenure of office the roll of members increased from 1,933 to 3,641. (Poole's Brecknockshire.)