Mathews Family (Aberaman House & Estate)  
The Mathew family of Aberaman were descended from Morgan Mathew (a nephew of Sir David Mathew of Llandaff) who was the standard bearer to Edward IV at the battle of Towton.

The Mathew family of Aberaman were the most important family who lived and owned land in Aberaman and surrounding area, it registered that they acquired Abergwawr Farm and Blaengwawr Farm which was mentioned in 1654. The family were Royalists and Edward Mathew commanded the Cardiff Garrison and Myles his son commanded the King’s Lifeguard at the Battle of Edghill, he was later captured at the Battle of St Fagan’s, but after the restoration he became Sheriff of Glamorgan in 1666 and became Myles Mathew of “Llankach” and one of four Sheriffs that came from Aberaman.

Miles Mathew whose family lived at Aberaman House, Miles who was in command of the Lifeguards and fought alongside Charles 1 in 1642 at the battle of Edghill in 1643. Miles Mathew fought alongside Charles 1 and then became the Cromwellian Governor of the castle and town in Cardiff.

The Mathew family was split in 1788 due to the fact there were no male heirs and the land was split between the three daughters. In matter of years the land was sold to Anthony Bacon 11 and who then sold it to Crawshay Bailey.

The first colliery mentioned in the Cynon Valley was recorded in the Mathew’s family records that they owned a coalmine which is mentioned in 1637 and 1691.

The Abergwawr estate extended from the present King’s Head, Aberaman to the Gwawr Brook, and the farm was situated where the present Plough Inn and the Grange House. The Aberaman Welfare Hall is built on what was formerly Abergwawr Isaf. The Blaengwawr Estate extended from the Brook up to the Full Moon except for a part belonging to the Ynyslwyd Estate.

Saron Chapel, Gwawr Chapel and Libanus Chapel were erected on the Abergwawr Estate, while Blaengwawr Schools were erected on the Blaengwawr Estate.
   
Mathew Charity for the Cynon Valley  
March 1724 she recited that she had purchased an annual rent of £5 from Richard Thomas Lewis charged upon is 380 acres farm known as Penrhiw Caradoc in the parish of Llanwynno, to provide money to assist the maintenance of four poor persons to be settled in the Almshouses. These consisted of four separate dwellings each containing one room.
   
Mathews Family Crest  
Their crest a Heath Cock, and their motto “A fynno Duw a fydd” (What God wills will be) and “Si Deus pro nobisquis contra nos” (If God be for us, who shall be against us). There was a public house called the Heathcock Inn, which, once stood, opposite St John’s Church which demolished in 1966.