Hirwaun Town  
In November 1757 a lease was taken on some land owned by the Marquis of Bute at Hirwaun, by Mayberry and Wilkins to start iron workings, Thomas Mayberry had been an ironmaster at Powicke in Worcester had had come to Breconshire to exploit the deposits of iron-ore, using new methods. His son John married Anne Wilkins eldest daughter of John Parry Wilkins, they had ironworks in Brecon, Machen, Tredegar and Hirwaun as well as a forge at Pipton and coal mines were also opened up in the county and the southern border of Glamorgan.

Note:

John Wilkins was the founder of “The Old Brecon Bank” the banks were established in: Brecon 1777, Merthyr 1812, Haverfordwest 1828, Cardigan 1831, Carmarthen 1834, Llanelli 1837, Aberdare 1854 and Cardiff in 1856.
In 1830 the then ironmaster of Hirwaun William Crawshay purchase the first railway locomotive steam engine to be seen in the Cynon Valley since Richard Trevithick’s train in Abercynon.