ABERDARE CANAL  

Aberdare Canal originated at a place called Ty Draw in the area of Plasdraw now part of Aberdare. It was built in the early 1800’s and joined the Glamorganshire Canal at Abercynon. When the canal was constructed Ty Draw had four wharves, these and the canal were the first major development in the Cynon Valley. The main purpose of the canal was to transport iron out of the valley. Then a tram road was built to Llwydcoed Ironworks. Later another tram road was built to Glynneath due to the high tariffs imposed on moving iron on the Aberdare Canal. Later the canal was used to transport coal, which then became the main export of the valley.